I've made this, my Gardner Douglas (GD) Cobra build website, to illustrate my progress during my sessions in the garage, and I’m pleased to say the build was a pleasantly challenging and rewarding experience. The WoW factor coming after the research, the sourcing, the measuring, the remeasuring, the drilling and cutting, and the doing of things that were not within my comfort zones.
The build also caused me [by choice] to revive my dormant woodwork, metalwork and tech-drawing skills, and I also had to get to grips with the vagaries of GRP manipulation and compounding and finishing, and this is where a cursory knowledge of meteorology was useful too.
The intricacies of the Dremel was something I hadn't realised would be such a useful skill to get to grips with either; and last but not least, the varied and decidedly nebulous world of electrical jiggery-pokery was something that [to me] was a very important topic of understanding.
And within those themes, I was very pleased that my build progressed as planned and I [the car] got through the IVA the first time.
I do like to know and understand what's going on, and the 'why' is important to me.
Loads of research was enough to focus me to get the build right and done properly, and contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be a whiz-bang mechanic to get the job done... getting oily is a personal option — or not as the case might be.
- The Pre-Build link takes you to the pages containing my shenanigans up to the point of me taking delivery
- The build articles link take you to the interesting stuff i.e. what's going on in the garage
- There are additional build photos for all articles in the Photo Album menu on the right-hand side of this page
- Also, I've set up a 'Facebook' page where we can collaborate. Please send me a request to join to view & post
- And last but not least, I've put together a YouTube page for my videos
But... If you want a quick look at everything before you dive in, get yourself a coffee and take a look at this:
My Build in 15 Minutes... (Click on the photo)