Now that I've committed myself, it's all hands on deck (that'll be me) to get the garage ship-shape.

And to that end the garage was like Steptoes' junk yard. It needed sorting. I been promising myself (and the wife) to do it for years but somehow I never got around to it.

I've tinkered, shifted, re-shifted, stacked, re-stacked, tidied and re-tidied but never really spent much time beyond the event-horizon, that being the boundary which is just inside the door. Over the years all the "stuff" just became more compacted and older.

  

So I Present To You My Single Garage..... or as I call it, the "TARDIS"

Time Accumulated Repository for Decaying and Incidental Stuff

As you can see, my garage is somewhere to horde junk and bits of wood and half-empty tins of paint on the off-chance I might need to repair or touch-up something in twenty years time. Moreover, whilst sorting and sifting through the accumulation, moving ever so slowly past the event-horizon towards the back of the garage, I discovered some spare parts for a vacuum cleaner I ditched ten years ago..... WTF!

A major challenge for me, was to work out how to contain the equivalent of two cars within a single garage. Specifically, to be able to store the non-joined-up body and chassis in the same space at the same time. This is where a real TARDIS would be very useful. But as most of us know the TARDIS doesn't exist, and me not being a Time Lord, I had to come up with a solution which conforms to my garage dimensions. So I made a body-trolley to make it easier to work on the shell and to move it around without having to resort to steroids, protein drinks or going to the gym to do pointless gravity defying feats with lumps of metal.


Garage Sorted..... Well Nearly!!!

Notice the two vertical pillars of bricks half way down the garage.

They are perfectly placed to snag the wheel arches, and therefore damage the gelcoat (not good)

 

So I solved this issue with a couple of old wood panels and a piece of carpet.

(I knew the wood and carpet off-cuts would come in handy one day)

IMG 2499 snip

 

Upgrade completed

I've only done this on one side of the garage because, as my tool board and workbenches are on the other side. I don't need to pad the other line of bricks because the car will never be that close to the wall

 

Improvement Demo'

(Carpet stuck on with glue and a few small screws that do not protrude the pile)

 

Wheel arch and bricks would have been a perfect fit if not for the padded deflector.

(Gelcoat is now protected from accidental snagging)

 

Snug As A Bug-In-A-Rug 

This image is of the car positioned to the left side of the garage. And this is where it will be for most of the time during the build. As you can see there is ample room to work on all of one side, the front -and the back. Moreover the wheel arches are protected from scuffs and dinks.

 


 

Review of Garage Improvements

Infrastructure:

  • Installed an alarm system (This being a "proper" alarm with a couple of PIRs & an integrated fire sensor)
  • Made a wall mounted, fold-down workbench
  • Made a smaller fixed workbench for the vice and drill stand
  • Painted the floor battleship grey (Screwfix)
  • Painted the walls white (Screwfix)
  • Replaced the window (Niddal Windows)
  • Put up a black curtain to stop prying eyes looking in when I'm not around (Argos)
  • Made a wall-mounted tool board where all my tools will neatly reside after every build session [go figure]
  • Bought new shelving (BIG DUG)
  • Improved the lighting by using high frequency, weatherproof strip lights (Lighting Shop Direct)
  • Put in more electrical sockets
  • Installed a wall mounted heater (Machine Mart)
  • Installed an external light-sensitive PIR and a couple of bulk head lights (These as an additional security deterrent and to illuminate the driveway and door area when approaching or leaving)
  • Had an electrician install a new RCD consumer unit and connect everything up
  • Evicted the spiders

Door:

  • Replaced the frame (The Garage Door Team) - Harrogate branch
  • New paint job (Toolstation)
  • Added a couple of strong deadbolt locks (Locks Online)
  • Fitted a weather seal along the bottom of the door to stop leaves and dirt being blown in -and to keep the garden frogs out (Screwfix)
  • Sealed along the top of the door with stripes the leftover rubber matting from the trolley. This to reduce drafts and to keep the heat in during winter

Equipment & Tools: Initially, I put together an enthusiastic and comprehensive list of what I perceived as essential equipment i.e. axle stands, an engine hoist, shiny metric and AF spanners, an air compressor with associated noisy man-cave attachments, a hand -and a bench grinder; and last but not least, a pillar drill. But in reality, because I'm going the GDEuro route, initially, the only thing I will need to get is a Dremel with some attachments, a vice, a combination rivet/rivnut/Jacknut gun and a drill stand for my drill. 

Things I will need to get when I get the chassis and engine are; a torque wrench, axle stands and a trolley jack. So..... equipment wise, it seems what I've accumulated over the years i.e. a well used socket set and the usual stuff that anyone who tinkers with the non-complicated bits of a car, will suffice. 

So now that I'm organised. I can crack on...

Now then Mr. Evans.... How difficult can this be...!!!