The first to be fitted was the tunnel carpet. Lined it up with the front bulkhead and tunnel top, and marked for the two steering cross-member bolts. Then I jiggled and patted it down a bit until it sat nice and flat (seemed like the thing to do); then I trimmed the sides and back leaving a healthy 2-5 cm carpet lip all round. This for the other carpets to sit on top thereby making a nice neat edge.

I decided not to use spray-glue to stick the carpets down as this is quite a ‘final’ job (if you can get it to stick in the first placed.) So, wanting a non-permanent but effective solution, I used 50 mm self-adhesive velcro; and I needed about 10 metres of the stuff for the complete cockpit and some of the boot area. I also bought 5 metres of 25 mm velcro for the smaller carpet pieces and for where I needed something less bulky.

During the fitting, I noticed that, even though the Velcro was adhesive-backed, the sticky bit (it being quite sticky), didn’t stick good enough for my liking; so I started again and re-stuck it on with a coating of Evo-Stik… This extra glueing filled in all the knobbly bits in the GRP and carpet backing, ensuring there was a complete surface area for the Velcro to stick to.

The next job was to find the corresponding places on the body to stick the other half of the Velcro. I put the carpet in place and poked a scribe through the carpet to mark where the corresponding Velcro strip needed to go… Quite fiddly this, but a good way to ensure the two surfaced lined up properly.

Using Velcro means I won’t have to rip the carpets out and re-glue if I need to take them out for any reason e.g. water ingress, cabling management, etc… All-in-all, a cracking job but it took days to do and I’m happy with the outcome.

Order of fitting will be:

    1. Tunnel
    2. Sides (by the doors)
    3. Behind the seats
    4. Rear floor area
    5. Footwells
    6. Front floor area

Fitting

Tunnel and Behind the Seat Carpets: After fitting the tunnel carpet (and the side carpets, I trimmed them leaving about a 2 cm underlap (is ‘underlap’ a new word?). Then I worked from the back to the front.  

Rear Floor: Laid in place the under-seat carpet making sure it sat neatly around the edges. Marked-up and cut holes for the rear seatbelt anchor points and seat runners. I also poked up a scribe from the underside of the car (trough the seat retaining bolt-holes), to find where to cut out a small piece of carpet for the bolts to go through. 

Driver’s Side Front Bulkhead: I cut this piece to fit just below the bottom lip of the pedal box. 

Passenger Side Front Bulkhead: I cut this piece to fit just up to the bottom of the electrical bus boxes. 

Front Floor: These were the last to be fitted and provided the neat edges for all adjoining carpets.

  

  

Not doing the boot until after IVA...