Steering Column Shroud - Fitting

Whilst lining up the dashboard blank for fixing, I decided to make sure the steering column shroud fit properly before drilling any holes in the bodywork for the dashboard fixing bolts... Luckily I did as there was some work to do to make the shroud fit properly. The aluminium shroud that goes around the stalks and ignition key was not sitting squarely when held in place by the front shiny plate and the two bolts. This was because there was undue pressure being put on the bottom of the shroud causing it to not fully seat property within the front plate retaining lip. Essentially the pressure was making it sit skew-whiff.

Normally this would not be an issue, but as the two stalks and the ignition electrics block are contained within the shroud, and, as it's all quite snug in there, it made sense to make sure everything was lined up and spot-on.

The problem was. On the underside of the ignition key cylinder, just by the brass steering locking mechanism cover, there was some excess plastic and a protruding bolt-casting on the steering column that, in a previous life, supported something meaningful. However, these are not necessary for my build so I cut them off to make the shroud sit properly.

What an utter kerfuffle... Necessary though, as I wouldn't have been happy knowing there was something not right that could cause (over time) unnecessary pressure on something important.

  

 

Excess plastic and bolt-hole casting protrusion that needs removing

 

Cast bolt-hole casting protrusion and excess plastic removed, and all is nice and flat now.

  


Steering Column Shroud - Upholstery

The steering wheel shroud was covered with the same vinyl as the dashboard and this was quite a good exercise as there were a lot of curves, cutouts and the keyhole.

Fixed the covering on in stages: 

    1. Stuck the covering to the outside and let it dry for at least 24 hrs:
      • I left about ~2 cm overlap around the edges (for turning in,) and I was careful not to get glue on this lip when sticking the covering to the main [outside] surface
    1. Trimmed the joining seam at the bottom and glued that in place 
    2. Shaped and glued the front edge, letting it again dry for 24 hrs
    3. Shaped and glued the back end, again letting it dry for 24 hrs
    4. Cut the hole for the ignition key and shaped and glued that

Trial fitted the chrome front panel and I’m quite pleased with the result… Am really glad I had a practice before I fit the good stuff (post IVA.)