Took delivery of my chassis a little earlier than expected. This was due to GD having a transporter passing quite close by. I had planned to go down with a van, but it would have been remiss of me not to take advantage of the convenience. So, from phone call [from Andy] to taking delivery was less than a day. Sometimes it's good to have the unexpected happen... Less stressful sometimes. 

Did a quick tidy-up in the garage and mentally planned what would go where. As I only have a single garage, in the short term, the body would have to sit on the trolley on the driveway. Not ideal but it's all waxed up so it will do it good to get an airing and exposure to the elements. A couple of hours later as the sun was just setting, Santa (in the guise of Paul) pulled up outside with his trailer, and an hour later my chassis was sitting snugly in its new home, the body perched outside on the trolley in the damp of N. Yorkshire, and we were drinking tea in the garage with Keith Akerman, who popped round too.

 

My chassis is the rolling GDEuro Classic type, in silver. I wanted a good contrast with the body colour (black (RAL9005),) and I must admit silver surrounded by black is a good combination to draw the eye to the engineering (as are some other combinations.) Absolutely blown away with the workmanship... Spot on.

 

Brakes are AP5200, 4 pot calipers with 330 mm discs. It's a pity to hide them behind the wheels though. I bet these will stop the car on a sixpence even if I use custard as brake fluid.

Two days later, having looked at, and got to know my new acquisition, I was ready to tuck it away neatly under the body. During this time-frame we did have some rain and I was quite impressed with the waxed bodywork finish and how the rain just ran off. I did, however have to bail-out somewhat.

I also considered buying a full or part car cover, but was not ready to commit to any of them as I wasn't fully convinced. Apparently some cover properties and GRP are not best-buddies Also, the ones with the flocked inner lining could, after a while, have dust and grit embedded into the fibres and of which could scratch the surface, so not going there yet either. I will be looking into this more when I need to, but for now I'm happy to let the body be exposed to the elements. It will soon be anyway, so nothing to worry about or to overly protect.


Body & Chassis Mating: Solicited three burly ex-civil servants to help with the mating process, and in reality, there wasn't much preparation to do. I removed the front radiator top retaining bar, and chamfered the top curves of the two round rubber insulating bumpers (the ones at the top of the backbone that don't have rivnuts,) Did this on the bench as it was easier.

Created a 45 degree angle by chamfering the top 1/3rd off the pads with the Dremel and flat file, and I took off about 2 mm off the top of the backing plate. The I refitted and put a smear of grease on them.

The mod' in the picture might look a bit scratty, but it looks better than in the picture.

Fitting the body: On my command, we eased the front of the body down and located it over the framework by the back of the engine bay. We then eased the back-end down.

Some "jiggling", "rocking and rolling" and gentle "shaking all over" and in less than five minutes, job done.

 

Wheels are temporary... (as is the rain on the body)

I'm going to let it sit for a few weeks and get on with other things before permanently fastening it to the frame. No point in rushing. I suspect it needs some time to settle..... (as do I)